Saturday, November 05, 2005

Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller

The Author's Note from the book-

I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But I was outside the Baghdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes.

After that I liked jazz music.

Sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself. It is as if they are showing you the way.

I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened.

[end quote]

Such a powerfull metaphor for Christian witness! It's not about musicology, going to the right clubs, being in-the-know, or somehow being genetically endowed with soul. It's about an Encounter! I am tempted to quote Louis Armstrong in jest: "If you don't understand it, I can't explain it to you!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home